Wednesday, August 18, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten









If there is one thing I want to remember,
it's Zach's level of excitement and happiness on his first day of kindergarten.
He took the obligatory photographs, and didn't ever stop smiling in between shots.
I walked him into school and to the kindergarten hallway
(stopping, per school rules, before I got to his classroom :)
I gave him a little squeeze and said, "I love you, have a great day!"
(my voice might have cracked a bit, but I kept a smile) and he was off.
He started down that corridor, and turned around just once with a big big smile. (I caught it!)
Then, he didn't look back again. Past the drinking fountains and into his classroom.
I'm not sure how I made it out of that building what with the blurry vision.
Ahhhhh, rough stuff for a sensitive soul.
I'll go ahead and say it, I'm sensitive.
Hard as I tried to avoid it, I tortured myself all day with thoughts of what was.
Taking naps with tiny baby Zachary, sprawled out on white sheets in our sunny room.
Who would sneak in at first peep to get Roman out of his crib?
And Lily, well, she's a little lost without her best bud.
8 hours is a loooooong time.
But then he came home. And he loved it.
Loved it with a capital L.
I'm going to love it too. (eventually)
Just as I've loved every other step along the way.

(In his own words...)

a video for grandmas, grandpas, aunts and uncles!



13 comments:

Claire said...

magical. every one of your posts is magical, really. and i need a good camera. i want to take picture like you. ask zach if he'll teach me criss cross applesauce

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

that's rough stuff mom, brought tears to my eyes as you took pictures of him in the hallway getting further and further away. but he looks so happy!!! :) i'm glad you survived the day!!!

Christy said...

oh man, he is such a handsome little dude! and the video made me seriously laugh. i love his BIG eyes, so excited. and the criss cross applesauce. HA! i hope he keeps loving school as much as he did the first day!

Tiffany said...

Too cute! You're so good at capturing the special moments. I can't believe how big he is, I remember when we moved out here and were in your ward and he was just a little guy. :) I'm glad for your posts like these to prepare moms like me for what's to come!

Lora said...

wowy he couldn't be any cuter! I Love the cons! (we just got elle a pink and pair) That video is perfect, what a great idea! I love how excited he is!

My question is how is Lily handling life without her partner in crime?

Bailey Family said...

Super sweet. I guess you never know how you are going to react until the day comes. I am sure it will be a new adventure when Lily heads off to Kindergarten.
A very important first...well documented.
I hope that he loves school as much as him mom did!

Ashley from Sloanbook said...

Awww so cute! He will do so well at school! He is so ready! You did a great job on this post!

Jill Revell said...

So perfectly documented! You can tell he loved his first day!

Isaura said...

aww so special. his future wife will surely appreciate this one day.

Lauri said...

oh tara, what a great idea to video his reaction to the first day of school. btw, congrats to you! I think this is as big of an accomplishment for you as it is for him. you worked a hard 5 years!

McAtee Family said...

They don't let you go to their room??? That would kill me - Haley would love it, but would kill me. I can't believe how big he has gotten and I an loving what great friends he and his sister are - it is priceless.

Lisa said...

Oh, Tara. This will be me in five short days and I don't know if I'm ready for it! You brought tears to my eyes.
The video cheered me up, though, to see how much Zach loved it! I've never seen a kid so excited about criss cross applesauce! :)